The Head of Consulting, North America role leads ESP Properties’ North American consulting offering across specialists in media, sponsorship and fan engagement. This position is responsible for the continuing growth and expansion of ESP Properties’ commercial strategy development on behalf of rightsholders, ensuring ESP Properties and our clients are at the very forefront of developments in media and technology that bring opportunities to create value for audiences and commercial partners, and deliver sustainable revenue growth for our clients as a result.
The ideal candidate will be an experienced commercial strategist, with deep knowledge and vision of the world of sports and entertainment. They will oversee the vision, strategy and continual evolution of ESP Properties’ consulting products, services and methodologies across all sources of revenue for our clients – media, sponsorship and fans. They will be an inspirational leader of our consulting team of, and manage function specialists responsible for each pillar of our offering, as well as the integration of those.
A fundamental understanding and belief in the power of combining audience-based and data-driven analysis, together with commercial strategy and creativity is crucial, as is a deep understanding of customer-based strategy and innovation (i.e. starting with a deep understanding of our clients’ audiences/fans and commercial partners, developing strategies and innovation that deliver value for those groups, and driving sustainable revenue growth for our clients as a result).
The Head of Consulting will be responsible for the consulting team’s P&L, oversee – and be deeply involved in – business development, manage customer relationships, retention and growth, and collaborate effectively with other department leads on the Executive Committee to deliver effective integration of services (across strategy, sales and implementation) and ensure expansion of our high growth areas.
The role leads an experienced team of consultants in our Chicago and NY locations, and will take the lead in the evolution of the team’s capabilities, structure and talent. We are part start-up, part legacy business. The Head of Consulting will need to, at once, lead through the chaos of a startup and drive change into a 30+ year old consultancy.
We are seeking a Head of Consulting that possesses a blend of the following skills:
- Proven success in developing and executing commercial strategies across media, brand partnerships, and/or fan engagement
- Track record of working with rightsholders, preferably in sports and entertainment
- Strong understanding of media (traditional and digital), sponsorship, digital technology and platforms, data and customer research
- Significant experience in shaping, leading and growing teams, and in overseeing talent and talent development
- Ability to champion internal collaboration and coordinate resources necessary to execute complex consulting assignments
- Proven effectiveness in developing customer relationships, and improving retention and growth of those customers
- Ability to lead teams with mixed skillsets, including data analysts and commercial strategists
- Ability to be the internal and external figurehead for ESP Properties and our vision in the marketplace
- Ability to help effectively navigate and secure resources (i.e. within WPP/GroupM agencies and outside of)
- Proven ability to secure new business and grow existing business
- Intuitive and naturally curious about marketing, sponsorships, fan engagement, digital media, sports and entertainment
- Known and respected as a trusted advisor to their organization and customers/clients
- Management of North America Consulting offering, team and P&L – product/service offering; team management and development; client management, retention and growth
- Oversee continued evolution of ESP Properties’ consulting services
- Develop consistencies in the ways we approach and deliver our services to clients
- Serve as a standard-bearer and drive innovation for client service/offerings and project deliverables
- Continuously monitor ways to improve our services and how we develop stronger working relationships with our clients
- Provide leadership and support to specialist leads in each of our core pillars and oversee integration of each into multi-faceted projects for clients
- Help shape proposals and ensure they are delivered and that the integrity of the ESPP brand is maintained in every touchpoint of service
- Provide oversight for consulting departments operations
- Contribute to thought capital and strategic marketing efforts
- Be a key voice and leader of Executive Committee, and involvement in stewarding, evolving and executing ESP Properties’ Business Strategy & Operational Plan
- Proven experience in a consultancy or professional services firm as Managing Director, General Manager, or other senior managerial positions
- Min. 15 years experience within the worlds of media, sponsorship, fan engagement, sports and/or entertainment
- Min. 8 years experience delivering commercial strategies in a rightsholder, media company, consultancy and/or agency environment
- Superior organizational and leadership skills
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and presentation skills
- Outstanding problem-solving abilities
- Demonstrable experience in developing business strategy and operational plans
- High level of comfort communicating/pitching to C-suite
- Strong networking/client management skills and experience
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word/Excel/PowerPoint
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only candidates under consideration will be contacted.
ESP Properties offers an attractive benefits package including competitive salary plus health benefits and a 401(K) plan. ESP Properties is an equal opportunity employer.